Willamette Valley Communications Center
Texting 911 allows people with cell phones to get help when they are not able to speak.
When to Text 911
The following situations help describe when use of the Text-To-911 service would be appropriate:
- A deaf or hard-of-hearing individual with a speech disability who needs emergency assistance
- A caller who is unable to speak due to a medical issue or condition
- A caller who finds themselves in a situation where speaking out loud would put them in danger, such as a home invasion, an abduction, or a domestic violence incident
Tips for Texting 911
Keep the following tips in mind when you text:
- Try to keep calm.
- Know your location. The dispatcher will need the location to send help. The Text-To-911 service differs from voice calls to 911 as your location is not displayed on the dispatcher’s screen.
- Text in simple words and avoid using abbreviations or emojis.
- If it is safe to do so, keep the text function on your phone open until the dispatcher concludes the conversation.
- If you do not want to be heard, please don’t forget to silence your phone.
The Text-To-911 service is made possible through the wireless providers and a third-party application which directs the text message to the Willamette Valley Communications Center (WVCC).
Text-To-911: Call if You Can, Text if You Can't (English)
Texto-A-911: Llame si puede, envíe un texto, si no (Español)
Text-To-911: American Sign Language
Where Text-To-911 is Available
The WVCC law enforcement agencies which will make the service available to their residents include:
- Dallas Police Department
- Falls City 911 Answering Center
- Gervais Police Department
- Grand Ronde Tribal Police
- Independence Police Department
- Keizer Police Department
- Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office
- Marion County Sheriff’s Office
- Newport Police Department
- Polk County Sheriff’s Office
- Salem Police Department
The service will also be available to the following WVCC fire and ambulance service agencies:
- Central Coast Fire & Ambulance
- Dallas Fire Department
- Depoe Bay Rural Fire Protection District
- Falls City Fire Department
- Keizer Rural Fire Protection District
- Marion County Rural Fire Protection District #1
- Newport Fire Department
- Pacific West Ambulance
- Polk County Rural Fire Protection District #1
- Salem Fire Department
- Salem Suburban Rural Fire Protection District
- Seal Rock Rural Fire Protection District
- Siletz Valley Rural Fire Protection District
- South Lincoln Ambulance
- Southwest Polk Rural Fire Protection District
- Spring Valley Rural Fire Protection District
- Yachats Rural Fire Protection District