Water, Sewer, or Street Emergency

Report issues by calling the 24/7 Public Works Dispatch center at 503‑588‑6311.

The City of Salem's Public Works Department is available to help with issues related to the City's Infrastructure. Please call the Public Works Dispatch center at 503-588-6311 if you need to report issues with the water, sewer, or street systems.

 To report an issue please be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Location
    • Address/hundred block and street name
    • Nearest cross street
  • Description of the damage
  • Photo of the damage, if you have one
  • Any additional information
  • Your name
  • Your phone number
  • Your email address

If you a witnessing a life-threatening emergency, call 9-1-1

Having a Water Emergency?

Most water meters have a meter box in front of the house or property near the street. The top of the box is usually a 3-inch or 4-inch diameter disk. Follow these steps to turn on or shut off water to your home. For information about starting, stopping, or changing your utility service, learn how to manage your City of Salem utility service account.

How to Shut off Water Service

  1. Always shut off your hot water heater before shutting off your water service to avoid damaging your water heater.
  2. Locate your water meter. Water meters are installed inside meter boxes. If you are unable to locate your meter, call Public Works Dispatch.
  3. Remove the metal lid from the meter box. You can use a standard screw driver to lift the lid.
  4. Once the metal lid is removed, there will be a concrete cover that you can be lift up and off.
  5. On some service lines, there will be a hand-operated shut-off valve on the customer side of the meter, which is the side closest to your house. If there is no hand valve on the customer side of the meter, there is always a valve on the side of the meter closest to the street. This valve is called a “curb stop valve,” and it requires a curb stop key to operate. You can buy a curb stop key at many local hardware stories, or you can check one out for free from the City of Salem’s Finance or Public Works offices. Please call ahead to make sure a key is available.

Homeowner Tips

Learn more about ways you can protect your home.