Salem Public Library
585 Liberty St. SE
Salem, OR 97301
Get a Library Card
Library cards are free to residents and property owners of Salem. Live outside the city limits? There’s a card for you. Salem Public Library is a member of the Chemeketa Cooperative Regional Library System (CCRLS). This library account gives you access to many of the items available at the other member libraries.
Gather What You Need to Apply
You will need the following items to get a library card:
- A valid, government-issued picture identification (such as a current Oregon driver's license or identification card), which includes your current home address, or
- One form of government ID (passport, out-of-state driver license, etc.) and one of the following:
- Gas, sewer, water, garbage, or electricity bill
- Phone service or cell phone bill
- Cable or internet bill
- Rental or lease agreement
- If you are under 16, bring a parent or guardian with you.
Go to the Library
Take the required items to the check out desk at any library location to get your library card.
You can apply for a temporary account online at the CCRLS registration page to access Virtual Services, then visit the library later to complete your registration and get a physical library card.
Three types of cards are available: a full-service card, a limited-use card for adults, and a limited-use card for kids.
With a full-service card you can:
- Check out up to 50 items at one time
- Place holds on items
- Do research and get information from home or office
- Download eBooks, eAudiobooks, and stream movies
- Use your card at all public libraries within the CCRLS area
There are three ways to get a full-service card:
- Salem Resident: If you live or own property within the city limits of Salem, you pay for library service as a part of your property tax bill and there is no fee.
- Non-Resident: If you live outside the city limits of Salem but within the CCRLS area (Yamhill, Polk, and Marion counties) and wish to receive a full-service card, you can purchase a library card for $60 per household per year. This entitles each member of the household to receive a full-service library card for one year.
- Out-of-District Resident: If you live both outside the City of Salem and the CCRLS area, you can purchase a full-service library card for $85 per year, per household. This entitles each member of the household to receive a full-service library card for one year.
Limited Use Cards
A limited-use card is available for both adults and kids.
Adults living outside the city limits of Salem, but within the CCRLS area (Yamhill, Polk, and Marion counties) may receive a no-cost basic card for each household member. The basic card allows the cardholder to:
- Check out 10 items from any CCRLS library at a time
- Place 10 holds at a time
- Remotely access many of our online resources
- Use all Salem Public Library services and collections when you visit either library
Children living outside the city limits of Salem, but within the CCRLS area (Yamhill, Polk, and Marion counties) and who are ages 18 and younger are offered a card through the C.A.R.E. (Create A Reader Everyday) program established by CCRLS. Create A Reader Everyday card holders can check out up to 25 items from the children’s and young adult collections and can reserve up to 25 items.
Protect Your Library Card
- Items checked out on your card are your responsibility. Treat your library card as you would a credit card. Lending your card to others is not a good idea.
- If you lose your card, please let us know immediately. We can place a “stop” on the card to prevent others from using it. Replacement cards cost $1.
- Please inform us if you move or change your telephone number or email address. Our electronic system for notifying patrons about reserves and overdue fines requires up-to-date information.
- You will be asked to apply for a new card if you have not used your card within two years.
Not sure if you’re in the city limits?
Select an area on the map or type in an address to learn whether it is inside or outside the Salem city limits and which county it is in. View a fullscreen version of the city limits map in a new window.