555 Liberty St. SE
Salem, OR 97301-3513
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Current Council Members
- Robert Scott, President
- Dustin VanElverdinghe, Coed Vice President
- Dan Smith, Seniors’ Vice President
- Melanie Clark Humpert, Women’s Vice President
- Troy Adevai, Men’s Vice President
- Tom Edwards
- Tom Gwynn
- Jerry Hollingsworth
- Guy Kampstra
- Lucky Rogers
The Softball Players’ Council (SPC) has been developed to advise and assist City of Salem staff in the operation and management of the softball complex and associated softball programs. This council is made up of sponsors, City of Salem staff, and representatives from teams participating in league play. The council board meets monthly or more often if necessary.
The City of Salem League Rules and Wallace Marine Park Softball Complex Administrative Rules and Regulations provides for the establishment of a softball players’ council. The role of the Softball Players’ Council is to:
- Uphold the City of Salem League Rules and Wallace Marine Park Softball Complex Administrative Rules and Regulations.
- Address non-compliance issues and develop recommendations for disciplinary actions.
- Uphold and apply the Wallace Marine Park Softball Complex Code of Conduct.
- Assist City staff with team reclassification if and when necessary.
- Serve as the first option for the disciplinary appeal process as outlined in the City of Salem League Rules and Wallace Marine Park Softball Complex Administrative Rules and Regulations.
- Advise City staff with regard to the ongoing development and implementation of the City of Salem League Rules and Wallace Marine Park Softball Complex Administrative Rules and Regulations.
Meeting procedures have been adopted to enable the Softball Players’ Council to methodically move decision-making processes forward.
- Roberts Rules of Order will govern the task force procedures.
- Subcommittees will be assigned as needed to consider items or gather information.
- Public comment or input will be taken in writing or in person.
- Decisions will be made by simple majority vote whereby all members of the Softball Players’ Council present will vote on recommendations or final decisions.
- Ground rules to remember: Listen carefully; listen for agreement.
- Begin on time.
- Try to have open, honest, frank communication.
- Balance air time.
- Indicate the desire to speak by raising your hand.
- Have one conversation at a time.
- No side conversations.
- No long stories.
- Show respect for the other person’s point of view, even if you have a difference of opinion.
- Once the group reaches agreement on something, move on.
- The group monitor sets the ground rules.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Meeting notes will be taken and read, mainly recaps of material reviewed, chart notes, and decisions.
- City of Salem staff will handle all press releases and official communications on behalf of the council.