Deputy Fire Chief
2742 25th St. SE
Salem, OR 97302
The City of Salem is accepting applications for the position of Lateral Firefighter/Paramedic. This recruitment will be used to fill the 14 current vacancies as well as establish an eligibility list for future hires.
View City of Salem job opportunities for more information on how to apply.
- United States citizen
- At least 18 years old
- High School graduate or GED Certificate
- Current Oregon EMT paramedic certification or a paramedic student or National Registry certification to qualify for reciprocity
- Valid driver license
An Associate Degree in Paramedic Technology, or equivalent, for paramedic certification on or after July 1, 1999.
The Oregon Health Authority may grant an Oregon or provisional paramedic certification if you have a National Registry certification. The Oregon Health Authority’s website has information about these certifications.
Lateral Firefighter Position Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED.
- No Written or CPAT Test will be required for all Lateral Applicants.
- Currently employed as a full-time, paid Firefighter with an agency whose primary responsibility is fire protection, with at least three (3) years of paid experience.
- Valid Oregon Class C driver's license or other state equivalent.
- Current certification as an Oregon Paramedic, or National Registry Certification as a Paramedic, and the ability to qualify for State of Oregon reciprocity, or possession of EMT-P from another state and be able to qualify for State of Oregon reciprocity. Minimum licensure requirements for Oregon Paramedic can be found at Oregon Revised Statutes and Oregon Administrative Rules.
- For non-Oregon Certified Paramedics - the Oregon State Health Authority determines equivalencies; you can contact them at 971-673-1222 or visit their website. (Applicants are responsible to obtain forms or information from this agency. Please start this process as early as possible.)
- A minimum of three (3) consecutive years of experience as a full-time, paid Firefighter/Paramedic experience is required.
- Proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 by the time of hire or approved exception to policy prior to an official offer of employment.
- NFPA Firefighter I and II or equivalent.
- NFPA Operations Level Responder (HazMat Ops).
- NWCG Wildland Firefighter Type 2 (FFT2) or equivalent (Preferred but not required)
- Qualified applicants who are bi-lingual in Spanish, Russian, eligible Asian languages or American Sign Language are encouraged to apply. There is 5% additional bi-lingual pay benefit if qualified.
Firefighter Selection Process
Meet minimum requirements. Virtual testing is available for out-of-state or area candidates.
- Online City application
- EMS paramedic skills assessment and panel interview (all in one day)
- Fire Chief's interview
- Background investigation
- Medical and psychological evaluation
- Job offer