Salem Police Department
Attn: Volunteer Services
333 Division St. NE
Salem, OR 97301
Cadets work alongside officers and gain valuable firsthand knowledge and insight into the profession. Cadets are introduced and trained in several law enforcement disciplines to prepare them for their duties in the field, and prepare them to interact and engage the public at community events.
How to apply for the cadet program
- Complete the cadet application.
- A cadet advisor will contact you to schedule a time to take the basic knowledge test.
- After passing the test, you will interview with a panel of cadet advisors.
- Accepted applicants will be expected to attend twice monthly meetings (2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month), help out with events, and go on at least one ride along per month.
Requirements for cadets
At the time of application, candidates must:
- Be between the ages of 14 and 21 years
- Be enrolled and have active attendance in school with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Be of good moral character with no felony or serious misdemeanor convictions
- Be physically able to perform assigned tasks and participate in rigorous duties and training
Once admitted into the program, cadets must:
- Attend monthly meetings and participate in ongoing cadet activities
- Maintain a good attitude and professionalism
- Show a continued interest in a law enforcement career