Salem Police Department
333 Division ST NE
Salem, OR 97301
Vacation Home Check is a service provided at no cost by the Salem Police Department to residents living within the Salem city limits. Trained Salem Police volunteers perform visual checks of your home while you are on vacation.
Sign up for Vacation Home Check
To enroll in the Vacation Home Check Program send the completed enrollment application and send it to the Salem Police Volunteer Coordinator.
Applications must be received and approved no later than two weeks before the requested time frame.
Read the program brochure for additional information and requirements.
Limitations of the service
Vacation Home Checks are limited to a maximum of four weeks twice a year.
The program is a free service provided by the Salem Police Department Volunteer Services Section. The program is not intended to provide security services for the properties enrolled in the program. The City of Salem assumes no liability for any thefts, losses, or damage to properties during the enrollment period.
Safety steps to follow before you leave
Your responsibilities after you are approved for the service include the following:
- Stop your mail service during your time away or make arrangements to have it collected.
- Stop newspaper services or package deliveries. The accumulation of newspapers, packages and mail are an alert to burglars a house is unattended.
- Inspect all door and window locks to ensure they are in proper working order.
- Install window locks or dowels for sliding glass doors.
- Use timers for lights inside and outside a home. A consistent use of lighting demonstrates the homeowner is actively protecting their property.
- If you have exterior lights on the property, ensure they are all in proper working order.
- If any cars or trucks remain on the property, make sure all the doors and windows are locked. Note any damage to them before you leave.
- If you keep garage door openers in your vehicles, remove them, and store them in a secure location.
- Make arrangements for an emergency contact.