Historic Preservation Officer
You can get help to enhance or restore a historically-designated residential property through the City’s Residential Toolbox Grant.
Grants awards are up to $1,000 per applicant. If you receive an award, you must provide a dollar-for-dollar match.
Grant funding sources include:
- Certified Local Government program of the Oregon State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO)
- Private residents
- City of Salem General Fund
TimelineTwo application cycles are available each year.
Cycle two opens July 1, 2022
Apply: Application period is July 1, 2022 through July 31, 2022, or until all grant funds are awarded, whichever occurs first.
To apply, you must submit:
- Site plan
- Contractor's signed bid (contractor MUST be Lead Certified)
- Three to five "before" photos
Projects must be completed by November 30, 2022.
Applications are due by Friday, August 5, 2022, at midnight.
Cycle one of 2023 opens February 2023
Details to be announced.
The proposed work must meet the following criteria:
- Enhance or restore the historic nature of, or preserve, renovate or rebuild, the historic aspects of the structure.
- Meet the design standards in SRC Chapter 230.
- Be on the exterior facade of an eligible contributing building or is a seismic retrofit that has received a building permit.
- Be completed by a licensed contractor certified in Lead Safe Practices.
- Cannot have any historic code violations in the last year.
Planning Division staff has the authority to grant one extension to the required completion date.
While work is being completed, you must post a Salem Heritage sign on your property.
Administrative Analyst I
Community Development Department