Report Neighborhood Problems

Salem promotes safe and desirable neighborhoods for all members in our community by investigating reports of specific code violations. Staff give priority to reports where public safety and health are at risk.

Submit a Neighborhood Complaint

The City does not accept anonymous complaints. You will be required to complete a one-time registration to submit a complaint. Registration also gives you access to a dashboard where you can track the progress of your case. (For cases submitted prior to May 1,2021, you can use the case number to check the status of your complaint.)

Report a Neighborhood or Abandoned Vehicle Problem

Cases submitted using the online system are assigned to an officer the next business day.

All other forms of case submission will take 3 to 5 business days to be assigned to an officer for processing.

Report a Parking Problem

If you have a problem related to downtown parking, including disabled parking, broken meters or residential parking, you can submit a request using the link below.

Report a Parking Problem

Common Neighborhood Concerns


Property maintenance

  • Grass and weed removal
  • Noxious vegetation
  • Poorly maintained property
  • Health hazards
  • Garbage and junk removal
  • Tree preservation


  • Abandoned vehicles


  • Zoning code violations


  • Abandoned shopping carts
  • Event noise permits
  • Excessive garage sales
  • Illegal sign violations
  • Disposal of garbage in ditches or waterways
  • Request help with garbage piles or camping
  • Retail distribution of plastic carryout bags

Complaint Confidentiality Policy

The City’s enforcement-related confidentiality policy is based on State of Oregon public records’ statutes. Enforcement records are public records, but the name of complaint is exempt from disclosure. The exemption is entitled “information submitted to a public body in confidence.” As such, any record that identifies a complainant is exempt from disclosure. However, notes in a file or a complaint letter, that does not specifically identify the complainant, may be disclosed.

The City will disclose the complainant’s name if required under a valid court order or if that person is going to be a witness in an enforcement case—the “right of cross examination” requires this provision.