Public Works Dispatch


Monday - Sunday
24 hours a day

Report a Signal, Sign, or Streetlight Problem

You can help keep traffic signals and signs in working order by reporting any problems you see.

Street Lights

  • Lights not working: Call Public Works Dispatch
  • More lighting wanted: If you think the community would benefit from more lighting at a specific location, you can request a new streetlight.

Traffic signal or sign problems

To report problems with traffic signals and signs, contact Public Works Dispatch.

The cameras mounted on the signals are used to detect the presence of a vehicle to control the traffic signal.

The cameras do not:

  • Detect red light runners
  • Monitor for traffic accidents.
  • Monitor for speed violators.
  • Record traffic.

Request a new streetlight

Residents can request a streetlight by e-mail or by calling 503-588-6211. Please provide the following information when you contact us:

  • Your name and contact information
  • The address where you would like a streetlight installed

All requests will be reviewed and prioritized. The current plan is to install 60 to 70 new streetlights per year. Ranking the requests allows for locations with the highest need and greatest benefit to be installed first.

Streetlights help prevent crime and improve safety for motorists, bicycle riders, and pedestrians. Because everyone in Salem benefits from streetlights, all residents pay a monthly streetlight fee with their utility bills.